- “Communalism: A Liberatory Alternative” by Marcus Amargi and Stephanie Amargi
- “Libertarian Municipalism: An Overview” by Murray Bookchin, Green Perspectives Number 24 October 1991
- “What is Social Ecology?” by Murray Bookchin, 1993.
- “Social Ecology and Communalism” by Murray Bookchin, AK Press 2007
- “Remaking Society: Pathways to a Green Future” by Murray Bookchin, South End Press 1990
- “From Urbanization to Cities: Towards a New Politics of Citizenship” by Murray Bookchin, Cassell 1990
- “The Philosophy of Social Ecology: Essays on Dialectical Naturalism” by Murray Bookchin, Black Rose Books 1996
- “The Ecology of Freedom: The Emergence and Dissolution of Hierarchy” by Murray Bookchin, AK Press 2005
Democratic confederalism, also known as libertarian municipalism, is the political system being practiced by the Group of Communities in Kurdistan (KCK). It is the theoretical basis for the current revolution in Rojava.
- “Democratic Confederalism” by Abdullah Öcalan, Transmedia Publishing 2011
- “Bookchin, Öcalan, and the Dialectics of Democracy” by Janet Biehl, New Compass 2012.
- “Democratic Autonomy in North Kurdistan: The Council Movement, Gender Liberation, and Ecology — in Practice” by TATORT Kurdistan, New Compass Press 2013
- “A Small Key Can Open A Large Door” edited by Strangers in a Tangled Wilderness, Combustion Books 2015 (read the introduction online here)
- “Prison Writings: The Roots of Civilisation” by Abdullah Öcalan
- “Prison Writings: The PKK and the Kurdish Question in the 21st Century” by Abdullah Öcalan
- “Prison Writings III: The Road Map to Negotiations” by Abdullah Öcalan